One of the most famous menu items from PF Changs is their lettuce wraps. They're delicious! Growing up in San Diego meant a lot of awesome restaurants right at my fingertips. Since moving to Tennessee, most restaurant gems are more than an hour away. Another downfall, most of these restaurant means shelling out some bucks for just a dinner for two, which isn't something we do often these days. So when I stumbled upon Wasabimon.com! She had a easy copy cat recipe that she created that was not only healthy, but also had a gluten-free option! I just knew I had to try this. So with a quick run to the store to buy the supplies, we made it and it's been a staple in our house practically every week!
PF Changs Lettuce Wraps
Recipe from Wasabimon. Serves 2.
Recipe for dipping/pouring sauce
4 tablespoons sugar or agave nectar
1/2 cup hot water
3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten free tamari
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup or canned tomato sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil
Recipe for stir-fry sauce - I double this recipe for mine!
2 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten free tamari
2 tablespoons brown sugar (not packed tightly)
1/2 teaspoon rice win vinegar
Recipe for stir-fried chicken
1 teaspoon hot water
1 tablespoon nice Dijon mustard (the good kind!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1 - 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained and minced
1/2 cup minced mushrooms - We exclude these. Hubby is not a fan
1/2 yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head of lettuce
Method for Pouring Sauce Recipe
1. In a bowl, dissolve sugar in hot water. Blend in soy sauce or tamari, rice win vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and dark sesame oil. Mix well and set aside in the refrigerator until the rest of the dish is ready.
Method for Stir-Fry Sauce Recipe
1. In a small blow, combine soy sauce or tamari, brown sugar, and rice vinegar. Mix well and set aside.
Method for Stir-Fry Chicken Recipe
1. In a small bowl, combine soy hot water, dijon mustard and minced garlic and set this aside.
2. In a wok or large frying pan over high heat, combine olive oil and sesame oil. Heat until it shimmers, and one minute. Add chicken chunks and stir fry until evenly cooked through, about five minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to cool, but reserve the oil in the wok or pan, keeping it hot over a low flame.
3. Take the pan or wok that you cooked the chicken in (with the oil still warming) and turn it up to medium-high heat. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, wait one minute, and then add the garlic, onions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, cooked chicken, and stir-fry sauce. Cook everything, stirring constantly, until the mushrooms have cooked through and are tender. About four minutes. Remove from pan and place in a serving dish.
4. Add mustard/garlic mixture that you set aside to the pouring sauce.
5. Serve and enjoy!