Sunday, May 29, 2011

Farmers Market Sunday

It's been scorching hot around these parts lately. Hubby is back on night shift for three months. That means two different sleep schedules! But he sacrificed his sleep yesterday to accompany me to the Farmers Market again. It was twice as big! Lots of new venders and that makes me one very happy lady. There was even a TON of produce, which makes me an even happier lady. The morning started off chilly but by the end of the day I think it was up to 90*. Today is even worse with record high temperatures of almost 100*. Helllooo southern weather! At least it's just dry heat and not humidity....yet. So what did we get?
 

We got a fancy granola bar(that was in no way healthy. 400 calories?? EEK), a head of cauliflower, two giant potatoes, two fried apple pies, and some strawberries. We also got some lemonade....but I drank it all! OOPS! First, I have to tell you about this sweet friend pie lady who we bought the amazing honey butter from last weekend. We didn't have enough for what we wanted, so I told her I would catch her with my extra dollar this week. When we got there she remember us(and PB Cup our dog), and said "You don't owe me anything. Here's another lemonade on the house!" What? Okay, I'll take it! Next week she says she's making some sweet cream honey butter but adding some organic cinnamon. I told her she better save one for us or else I'll hunt her down!

The cauliflower was apparently supposed to be a new hybrid that grows purple. The guy said that since it's so hot it just wasn't becoming the purple they were looking for....purple veggies that are supposed to be white scared me so I went with the purest looking one. Yikes. I have plans to make mashed cauliflower with these. Hiding in my veggies where I can get them since I'm trying so very hard to stay on the healthy track. Lately though veggies have just been a huge turn off for me. I've never been a picky eater but now I feel like a five-year-old. The only veggies I do like right now and smooshy peas and broccoli with cheese. Oh and avocados, but they're just not the same quality as they are in California. I got spoiled.
On my quest to be healthier I've tried to eat more wraps. I don't know what it is about the wraps I make but they never taste like the ones I buy pre-made. This one is a 100-calorie tortilla, half an avacado, 1 tbs chipotle mayo,  baby spinach, and some southwest grilled chicken. My biggest challenge with sticking to eating healthy(AKA, not eating fast food), is that I can't find anything I like that is easy to bring to work. We have a fridge and a freezer in our classroom, along with a microwave. So I have a lot of options. But I don't like anything. Fried food sounds so much better. I did find these awesome little frozen veggie singles in broccoli and cheese from Green Giant. It's only one weight watcher point and even though I'm not doing that program, I figure one point has to be okay, right? Anyone have any suggestions on what they like for a healthy lunch? I'm out of ideas! 
 
It's been a lazy Sunday around here. Cuppy has been nice enough to not leave me alone all day when it's so hot out. She always has to have some part of her body on me. She'll even come up if I'm sitting on the couch with my legs crossed and prop her head on my crossed foot that's in the air and fall asleep. Mommy's girl? I think so. Hubby is asleep and has to work tonight. Tomorrow he and I both have of and if it's not to hot we plan on going out to the Lake and going kayaking. Did you know at a slow pace kayaking can burn up to 400 calories an hour? Me either but I think that's enough inspiration to get my booty our there more. All I need is a cute swimsuit. I want this one. Anyone want to buy it for me? I'll take applications. If you buy it by tomorrow it's 15% off! You know you want to? I'll bribe you with cupcakes carrot sticks(healthy thoughts).
 

I'm also in the process of getting a new and improved layout. Lets just say it involves owls and is custom made. YAY. I also just got a twitter - @thehitchedlife. Follow us! If you're here from one of these lovely blog hops, let me know so I can follow you back. Happy Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment