Monday, April 18, 2011

Balsamic Vinegar Chicken & Herb Crusted Potato Wedges Recipe

This recipe is a two-part recipe. And both parts I love. If you don't love balsamic vinegar, please don't begin to fret just yet. Hubby doesn't like it all too much, but he loves this chicken. He just doesn't like the sauce oozing all over the chicken like I do mine. Oops. I also save some and dip my wedges in it. Yummy! This chicken dish is easily classified as homemade gourmet. I always feel like I'm a "real cook" when I make this simply because it feels like a classic dish. And well, not something I threw together to eat real fast!

I try to stay away from corn...but something took over my green beans in my freezer!
Balsamic Vinegar Chicken Breasts
This recipe was found at allrecipes.com; slightly revised
Serves four.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
(We omit these since Hubby is not a fan)
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
(If not a fan, I recommend using 1/8 cup)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon butter

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms and pat dry. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat and saute the chicken until it is nicely browned on one side (about 3 minutes).
2.Add the garlic. Turn the chicken breasts and scatter the mushrooms over them. Continue frying, shaking the skillet and stirring the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the vinegar, broth, bay leaf and thyme. 
3. Cover tightly and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.

4. Transfer the chicken to a warm serving platter and cover with foil. Set aside. Continue simmering the sauce, uncovered, over medium high heat for about 7 minutes. Swirl in the butter or margarine and discard the bay leaf. Pour this mushroom sauce mixture over the chicken and serve.
Note: When I make this for us, I only use two chicken breasts but leave everything else the same. I like the extra sauce. Also, I have added some things of mine own that aren't in this recipe. If I feel like the vinegar is a little too much, I throw in a few splashes of cream, which cuts the bite of the vinegar down. If the sauce isn't reducing to as thick as I like it, I throw in a little flour.
Herb Crusted Potato Wedges
This recipe was found in Eat Well, Loose Weight
Serves two.

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (I use Old Bay!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 medium baking potatoes
Nonstick cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 425*. In a small bowl combine oil and balsamic vinegar. In a shallow dish, combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, seasonings, salt, and pepper.
2. Lightly coat a foil-lined baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, then half again to get four wedges. Brush potato wedges with oil mixture. Dip in Parmesan cheese mixture to coat. Arrange potato wedges, skin sides down, on baking sheet so they don't touch. 

3. Bake about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and wedges are crisp.

Easy, fast, and yummy. Not to unhealthy either and the wedges are a great alternative to the old mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment